Sunday, January 5, 2014

Love and Marriage




I have never decorated for Valentine's day. 

But this year, while sifting though old Christmas ornaments, I found something that made me feel sentimental and warm and fuzzy. Something perfect for a fun little Valentine's Day tree.






See the little heart ornaments on the tree? Those little flimsy hearts are so special to me! When I met my husband he was in graduate school and I was still in college. From day one we were head over heels in love I tell ya! He lived in Houston. I lived in Fort Worth. We dated long distance, driving back and forth on weekends, for 3 years. 



He had his own apartment, and I remember asking him if he was going to put up a Christmas tree for himself. Of course being a bachelor he wasn't.
I was so sad  to think of us apart and him coming home to a cold empty apartment each day.




So I secretly went to W-mart and bought him a little tree, and those heart ornaments, a few strands of lights and two stockings. I decorated his apartment while he was at work and surprised him with it.  I have a picture of it somewhere in a box, maybe I can find it and come add it to this post later. He said he turned that tree on everyday when he got home.

And so began our life together of me decorating our nest...and him putting up with the constant nesting. Haha!


Here we are...14 years ago.







"Ooooh... Kissy kissy face!"

 That's what I say to my little girls when we see someone kiss in a movie and they hide their faces and giggle and say "Gross!!!" 

Sometimes hubby grabs me in the middle of the kitchen while I'm unloading the dishwasher and gives me a big long kiss in front of them. The best part is grossing out the kids. Although I know they secretly love it. 

Seeing parents who love each other is the greatest gift a parent can give a child. I know how much I loved seeing my own parents break out in an impromptu slow dance and kiss in the kitchen when an "oldie" came on the radio.


 Things I have learned about love and marriage so far...


Let go of the little things. 




Make a list of your own flaws when you find yourself dwelling on theirs.




Start new family traditions together.  




And most importantly...

make time for fun together!


Then.



And now.



Lots has changed in our lives in 14 years. But when I see these little hearts I know that what matters most has not.


Happy Nesting little lovebirds!

oxoxox

20 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet story...You couldn't have said it better. Everyone has their own sweet memories and endearing gestures that makes their marriage/relationship special. . .one of my favs in my own marriage is when my hubby calls me *Babera* my name is Debora...(Love it) and we say I love us more than we say I love you. . . makes my heart go pitter patter. . .

Love you Love day décor. . .

I'm still blogging at 7grands.blogspot.com {real simple style] stop by if you have time.

:) d

Cynthia said...

What a beautiful touching post your love. MI feel in love with my husband at first sight. We have been married for 25 years and t he things you pointed out are true. Don't sweat the small stuff. I think the gift of loving parents is a great gift to give your children. I remember my parents.

Cynthia

Unknown said...

Great post, thanks for brightening my day. It's always good to be reminded about the little things you can do to make life better. Diana

Marie said...

a few years ago I did my white christmas tree as a valentine tree! lovely post.
Marie @
In Our Happy Place

chateau chic said...

Great love story, Linsey!!!!
Mary Alice

SHUG IN BOOTS {Beth} said...

WHAT a sweet story. My favorite was him telling you he turned the tree on every night when he came home. :)

Unknown said...

Adorable love story and the display is so cute. You guys are awesome!

Unknown said...

Wow! Lovely story & V-day decor

Just a little something from Judy said...

You should put this all in a little marriage booklet. What a special way to share with couples, what really matters, even if it is through a little white tree with red hearts. Great post with an important message!

must love junk said...

Such a sweet post! I love your adorable pics and that you're still so in love! We're coming up on our 15 year and I still feel the same :)
Happy Anniversary!
Susan

Candy S said...

I love this sweet post. I almost started tearing reading about your love story. God bless the both of you.

Adina said...

Linsey, I love your story and how special it is that you still have the heart ornaments! What a perfect way to decorate for Valentines Day - using items that evoke such wonderful memories.
Adina @ Simply Country Life

SewSweetVIntage said...

Super sweet story! Happy Valentine's Day

Revi said...

What a sweet post! :)

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Adore this post! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on over and grab a feature button. Here is the link to this week's party. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2014/01/make-it-pretty-monday-week-84.html Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Madonna/aka/Ms Lemon of Make Mine Lemon said...

What a sweet story.

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

What a precious story and ya'll are so cute together! Love Your decorations, they are perfect!
Jemma

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

Thanks for sharing your sweet love story, Linsey. Love your little tree.

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

Thanks for sharing your sweet love story, Linsey. Love your little tree.

Laurel Stephens said...

I love your story and this post, and I featured your beautiful romantic decor on my Friday Finds today.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...